Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Gear Grinder of the Week

After reading some articles on the internet today I came to the realization that almost every message board or forum has someone defending Soriano by saying that when he is hot he can carry a team for 2-3 weeks. I think what some of those people are failing to realize is the fact that 2-3 weeks is only 13% of the season at most. Pardon the alliteration, but I would rather have a player constantly contribute than someone who gets hot for 2-3 weeks per season.

I am by no means a Soriano "hater", nor am I an advocate. I believe that he got the contract he did because the year the Cubs' brass finally decided spending some of their revenue was unfortunately the year when he was the best free agent available. However, with all the acquisitions we made that off season, he was by far the worst, and it is impossible to contribute the culture turnaround on the Northside two years ago to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment